All About AHAs - Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water by Wishtrend

AHAs and BHAs, which are Alpha Hydroxy Acids and Beta Hydroxy Acids respectively, are very effective chemical exfoliants for your skin.  AHAs and BHAs help to smooth skin texture, brighten dull skin, and reduce the appearance of dark spots and fine lines.

Thinking back to chemistry class, AHAs and BHAs are structurally distinct at the molecular level - the hydroxyl-group is attached to the carboxylic acid at the alpha-position in Alpha Hydroxy Acids and at the beta-position in Beta Hydroxy Acids.  AHAs are predominantly water soluble and thus work on the surface of the skin, essentially weakening the bonds between our skin and its dead skin cells, allowing them to be removed.  AHAs include glycolic acid, lactic acid, and my favorite, the more gentle mandelic acid.  BHAs are oil-soluble and work on both the surface of the skin and within the pores to remove dead skin cells, as well as dirt and oils.  In the realm of skin care, BHAs exclusively refer to salicylic acid.


My current favorite exfoliating AHA toner is the Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water by Wishtrend.  Mandelic acid is interesting in that it is classified as an AHA based upon its molecular structure (it has its hydroxy-group attached at the alpha-position), however it has both AHA and BHA properties.  It is the one exception to the rule that AHAs are water-soluble as mandelic acid is oil-soluble and thus can also help to clear out your pores.  It is naturally-derived from bitter almonds and is known to be gentler than many of its other AHA counterparts as its molecules are larger in size and thus do not penetrate as deeply into the skin, causing less irritation.  

I have been using this product for about 6 weeks and I love it!  I use it as a toner once daily, applying it with a cotton puff after cleansing my skin.  I have oily and congested skin, especially in my T-zone, and I feel like this product has helped to clear out my pores in this area.  It really prepares my skin well for the serum and moisturizer I subsequently apply and has definitely helped to keep my skin texture smooth.  Unlike some of the other toner products I have tried, I really feel that this product makes a difference in improving my skin texture and brightness.  This product is available for $22 for 120mL on wishtrend.com.  

Whenever using an AHA or BHA, it is important to use sun protection as they can make your skin more sensitive to sun exposure.  

What are your favorite AHA or BHA products?

Comments

  1. The mandelic acid toner is beneficial for health, make your skin clean from makeup and feel fresh. It is alcohol-free, made will skin-friendly natural ingredients to heal skin pores as well.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Troiareuke ACSEN A+ Cushion

M-61 Hydraboost Eye Serum