All About Your Lips!

Like your skin, your lips also require special care to look their best.  We are moving our mouths and lips continuously every day and we also expose our lips to makeup and different foods and drinks.  Your lips are actually structurally different than the other areas of your skin and this difference makes your lips more susceptible to dryness and irritation.  While all skin is made up of three layers - the dermis (the deepest layer), epidermis (the middle layer), and the stratum corneum (the uppermost layer), our lips are unique in that the uppermost protective layer, the stratum corneum, is significantly thinner than anywhere else on our body.  Furthermore, our lips contain little to no melanin, which is the natural pigment that is responsible for our skin and hair color and also provides some protection from UV radiation.  Our lips also do not contain any sebaceous glands making them more prone to dryness.

My lips are always dry and unfortunately flaky, so I'm always on the search for great lip balms that will help to alleviate my many lip issues.  I am also guilty of licking and biting my lips, which can make the dryness worse as your saliva contains enzymes that can further irritate them.  I have lip balms everywhere - my bags, my car, and my desk, to try to encourage me to apply lip balm more frequently.  These are the lip balms that I'm currently using!

Beessential Lemon and Lavender Beeswax Lip Balm
- This is my favorite, go-to lip balm!  I have tried many, many lip balms from the drugstore, however I always go back to the Beessential lip balm.  It is very hydrating - it feels creamy on the lips and unlike others that just seem to sit on the lip surface, this one feels like it is really sinking into the areas of dryness.  This lip balm contains only natural ingredients including beeswax, propolis extract, honey, shea butter, and cupuacu butter.  It comes in other scents/flavors but I personally really like the Lemon and Lavender.  This is available on beessential.com and Amazon.com (2-pack for ~$5.90).


La Roche-Posay Nutritic Lips 
- I love the brand La Roche-Posay, which is what lead me to try their lip balm.  This lip balm has no fragrance so if you are sensitive to scents, this may work well for you.  It has many great ingredients such as shea butter, beeswax, and apricot and black currant oils, however also contains some less desirable chemical ingredients such as polyethylene and polybutene, which are primarily used in plastic materials.  This lip balm absorbs well and is very moisturizing however does need to be reapplied frequently.  Overall this lip balm works well, however it has not performed any better than the Beessential lip balm, has a few undesirable ingredients, and is more expensive.  This is available for $15.99 on Dermstore.com.

Sara Happ The Lip Slip One Luxe Balm
- I recently purchased this as a Valentine's treat for myself.  This lip balm has a beautiful rose scent and is luxurious with a creamy consistency (also the packaging is so pretty!).  It is very hydrating and comfortable on the lips.  This lip balm also enhances the natural color of your lips and provides a shine that rivals a lip gloss, however has the benefits of ingredients such as jojoba seed oil, macadamia seed oil, and beeswax.  It is perfect to wear on its own.  Like the La Roche-Posay Nutritic lips, it also contains some chemical ingredients such as polybutene, however in comparison to other lip gloss products, its ingredient list is quite good.  This is available for $24.99 on Nordstrom.com.


Lip balms are the staple of my lip care routine, however it is important to also exfoliate the lips and use lip masks.  Reviews of my favorite lip masks to come!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Troiareuke ACSEN A+ Cushion

M-61 Hydraboost Eye Serum

All About AHAs - Mandelic Acid 5% Skin Prep Water by Wishtrend